Tuesday

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the day. As I've said many times before, I can't believe how fast time goes by sometimes. I can hardly believe it's here and how much has happened in the past few years.

I've always been a deadline/goal-driven kind of person. I almost can't function if I don't anything to work for. Several years ago, I somehow managed to lay my whole life out in front of me, section it off, and divide and conquer. I've watched too many people casually live their lives and never get anywhere and I was (and still am) determined not to be one of those people.

I challenged myself to get married, buy a house, finish college, get a good job and have a baby by the time I turned 28.

In September 2005, my wedding day finally rolled around after a lifetime of waiting. It's true that little girls plan their weddings from the day they turn five years old, and I had done just that. I remember standing at the altar thinking to myself "Savor this moment... savor this moment..." but all the savoring in the world couldn't slow down time, and it was over in a flash. My soul mate was mine and I was a very happy newlywed. That's all I could have hoped for.

The day I graduated from college was definitely memorable. My graduation ceremony was at 2 p.m. and was a small-ish affair. It was in May 2006 and the day was rather warm outside. I wore my pearl necklace. It was also the day that Jerry's brother, Jeff, got married! I felt like we were in some kind of comedy - racing to graduation, ducking out in the middle of the diploma distribution (after I got mine, of course!) and racing over to the church for the wedding. It was hysterical.

Nothing could have held us back the day we closed on our first house. It was August 2007 and we couldn't find a parking spot. Our broker's office was in Downtown Richmond, and parking there was terrible the day we needed to be there. We were late. Very late. I remember running across Main street in order to get the papers signed before the bank took the house from the previous owners as a result of foreclosure. We signed just in time.

My big break came in August 2008. I was offered a great job as a business development writer with a Federal Government contractor. The day I left my last retail job far behind me was a glorious one, and I will never go back. There isn't enough money or vacation in the world that would make me go back.

January 26, 2009 was a VERY COLD day. I know it was cold because I forgot my coat when I went to Walmart at lunchtime. I had other things on my mind, anyway. I was on a mission - ginger ale and a pregnancy test were on the grocery list that afternoon, and after I checked out (I couldn't make this up, I swear) I headed to the restroom. I found out in that Walmart bathroom on that very cold winter day that I was pregnant. Eight long months later, our sweet baby boy JJ made his dramatic entrance into our lives and the rest is history.

Looking back, I realize that my life has been in hyper drive for the past five years. I'm still in awe at the magnitude just a few years can have on a life. I've been spending the next few days brainstorming on what I want to accomplish next. It will be challenging, but I think I'll be able to come up with a few things for the next few years.

Tomorrow is the day I turn 28. It will be a true celebration of the accomplishments that have come our way in the past five years. I'm excited for what the next five will bring.

No comments:

Followers

Search This Blog

Blogging Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones